On May 16, 2011 21:31 , "Matt Windsor" <k...@windstream.net>  wrote:

Every so often the httpd service on our server will stop -- I'm not seeing any attempts to automatically restart. Any thoughts? A friend of mine recommended the apache userlist.

If you want httpd to automatically be restarted, you will need to set up something to do this. Possibilities depend on what your operating system is, but include a cron job, upstart, launchd, init, launchd, SMF, or systemd, among others. However, most people do not do this since httpd should only stop running when the operating system stops it (e.g., when the system is rebooted or powered off) or when an administrator manually does so.

What are the circumstances under which you are observing httpd stop? For example: is there a consistent pattern in the web server access logs? (for example, "my web server stops whenever someone tried to access http://servername/a/b.html";) Is there a consistent pattern in regards to timing? (for example, "my web server often stops about two hours after it is started").

If you are running httpd on a Unix-like system, do you have core dumps enabled? If so, are core dumps being produced? If so, what does the core dump reveal about what happened?

What version of httpd are you running? Under what operating system? Is there anything special or unique about your configuration? Can you think of any other relevant details to include?

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org