Hello,
Thank you for your replies. What i'm getting is the error 500 internal
server error when I place the .htaccess file. I'm not seeing anything
in the access log file except the reference to the 500 error. Running
a php cli on the php file does not return any errors syntax or
otherwise. I probably should have mentioned i'm using cPanel as the
web frontend.

Thanks.
Dave.