Inline...

On 27 May 2011 20:52, Rob Morin <r...@ilabsinc.com> wrote:

> We use a CDN for our images and other static files like CSS and so on…
>

> Like I mentioned keepalive is off as the Hosting company said we cannot use
> it in conjunction with keepalived on our haproxy setup, I guess I can test
> it on one machine and see if anything goes awry..
>

> I have not considered compiling it myself yet, I wanted to see how far I
> can go with respect to tuning before I have to rip down apache and compile
> it, we do have a fully managed account with the hosting company but I am
> sure if I ask to compile apache they might disagree with me on that and
> might not support it… most hosting companies now only support  packages that
> are in the main repos of that distribution and will not vary from that even
> for compiling..

Yes, updates do tend to get more specific here:)

> As for profiling I have asked the Dev guys to see if they can do something
> like that, however New Relic does help them a bit but nothing like xdebug I
> guess..

If I am not mistaken, New Relic is metric measured from outside, where
Xdebug gives you detailed profile of your code execution path and delays, it
is actually very informative just to try it out. At one of the companies I
work for we discovered that 80% of page load time the code was just setting
object properties (some braindead design by using methods (and subsequently
__call) to set every variable, don't mention it:)

Nor sure I understand where you say memcache is slow, we uses memcache for
> session variables and for mysql query caching… I did not think there was
> anything as reliable and fast or faster than that?
>
> Can you elaborate on file-based-cache fro mysql querrie? Or point me to
> some docs?

Unfortunately I don't have any published measurements, but here it goes: we
had an application that we benchmarked and if we used memcache for caching
mysql queries it gave 100 requests per second tops. Just switching to file
based caching gave us around 150-170 requests per seconds. This went well
until there were not too many files on the filesystem. This also implies two
predispositions:
- you can have independent per-server cache
- you do not cache too many small objects and cache files have to stay in
VFS cache (maybe this could be remedied with some reiserfs which excels at
small files but it is (was?) not suitable because of big kernel lock)

Why is memcache slower than file cache? Because using memcache causes
additional delay by communication between two userland processes (your app
server and memcached: form request, send it, memcache parses it, searches
itself, forms response, sends it, app receives it and parses it) where VFS
brings cache directly from memory (if all fits in there). VFS cache is even
faster than ramdisk if all that needs to be cached fits into your ram.

Take care,
b.

We use munin, so we have most of what you are requesting… I will see about