I want to make a catch-all virtual host (like the manual mentions below) which
redirects any errant hostnames like
http://oopsie.mydomain.com/ to our main hostname at http://www.mydomain.com/
But the below example doesn't work - I'm getting an
infinite redirect from http://www.mydomain.com/ right back to
http://www.mydomain.com/

What am I missing?

#First virtual host entry
<VirtualHost *:80>
        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule     .* http://www.mydomain.com%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]
        ErrorLog        /var/log/httpd/error_log
        CustomLog       /var/log/httpd/access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

#Second virtual host entry
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName      www.mydomain.com
        DocumentRoot   /home/mydomain/www
        <Directory /home/mydomain/www>
                Options -ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks +IncludesNOEXEC -Indexes
-MultiViews +Includes
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        ErrorLog        /var/log/httpd/error_log
        CustomLog       /var/log/httpd/access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html - "If you would like to
have a special configuration for requests that do
not match any particular virtual host, simply put that configuration in a
<VirtualHost> container and list it first in the
configuration file."