Hello,

On 10 juin 2011, at 21:05, Wilson Hernandez wrote:

> I actually would like to have the main server locally and the backup server
> hosted somewhere else with: Amazon, Godaddy, etc...

Having the main server running at the less reliable location is not what I
would do, but I can understand how a local server with full physical control
(and huge storage) is easier to run than a remote VPS with limited resources
and access.

On 10 juin 2011, at 21:55, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

> Then you can switch to your backup in that time frame by altering the A
> record.
>
> This is trivially automated by running a cron script on the backup server
> that checks if your home IP is responding, and if not, switches the DNS
> record to itself.

I don't think this is trivially automated. There are lots of pitfalls
(reliability of the test, accessing DNS records...) that makes this kind of
script more tricky than you would think.

Wilson: you should really consider externalizing your master DNS. Running a
local secondary DNS is fine, but your primary should be remote (on your backup
server for example).

Patrick PRONIEWSKI
--
Administrateur Système - DSI - Université Lumière Lyon 2