Thank you very much.  That is very helpful.

Sheila N

DW wrote:
You need to enable HTTPS in apache.  Are you running your own apache
server?  If so then read this article:

<http://beeznest.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/how-to-configure-https-on-apache-2/>

Good luck.

Astrid Nova wrote:
I have found now that if I cease using https the problem goes and the
site works!
Can anyone suggest why?
The original header to my post series was "Problems getting a drupal
content managed website running with an apache webserver with a mysql
database."
I am using  Drupal 7.2 and Apache 2.2.19.
The problem was manifesting as access permission denied when I should be
logged in as admin.  When I tried to log in again, the webserver locked
and became unresponsive.
Since I ceased working in https, I haven't experienced this problem.
I have also been told that I don't need https for security. What should
I do instead?

Sheila N

DW wrote:
Astrid Nova wrote:
Problems getting a drupal content managed website running with an apache
webserver with a mysql database.
Problem manifests in access permission denied when I should be logged in
as admin, but when I log in again, the webserver locks and becomes
unresponsive.
I am using Drupal 7, apache 2.3.

You have to use the latest stable version of Apache (2.2.19].  Version
2.3 must be a beta and so don't expect it to perform properly.  I take
it you have the latest version of Drupal version 7.2 - right?

hth