This is the extract from source file server/mpm/prefork/prefork.c:

/* Limit on the total --- clients will be locked out if more servers than
 * this are needed.  It is intended solely to keep the server from crashing
 * when things get out of hand.
 *
 * We keep a hard maximum number of servers, for two reasons --- first off,
 * in case something goes seriously wrong, we want to stop the fork bomb
 * short of actually crashing the machine we're running on by filling some
 * kernel table.  Secondly, it keeps the size of the scoreboard file small
 * enough that we can read the whole thing without worrying too much about
 * the overhead.
 */
#ifndef DEFAULT_SERVER_LIMIT
#define DEFAULT_SERVER_LIMIT 256