According to Torsten F?rtsch <torsten.foert...@gmx.net> on Thu, 06/16/11 at
11:16:

> Try
>
>   <Perl>
>     use Apache2::Const -compile=>qw/:common/;
>   </Perl>
>
> What you try to do is
>
>   use q{Apache2::Const -compile => ':common'};
>
> You can also write
>
>   PerlModule Apache2::Const
>
> It complies the same symbols as :common does

I have spent some time today looking at the change logs for both
mod_perl2 and apache2 to see what, if anything, might point to a
change that could have produced my current problem.  I found none.

I originally thought based on this error output from "apachectl -t":

   [Mon Jun 13 10:16:15 2011] [error] syntax error at (eval 21) line 1, near
"require Apache2::Const -"\n
   [Mon Jun 13 10:16:15 2011] [error] Can't load Perl module Apache2::Const
-compile => ':common' for server
+localhost:80, exiting...

that the problem stemmed from the first of these two lines:

   PerlModule "Apache2::Const -compile => ':common'"
   PerlModule "APR::Const -compile => ':common'"

which are found inside a *.conf file in the Includes directory of apache2.

BTW, these two lines are the only two lines in the entire source tree
of the application in question that contain the string ":common".  But
since I am merely trying to launch the apache server, the Perl application
has not come into play yet, except for the parsing of the httpd.conf
file and the above mentioned include file found in the Includes directory.

When I comment out the first line, I get a similar error, but this time
it mentions the second line:

   [Fri Jun 17 12:17:41 2011] [error] syntax error at (eval 21) line 1, near
"require APR::Const -"\n
   [Fri Jun 17 12:17:41 2011] [error] Can't load Perl module APR::Const
-compile => ':common' for server localhost:80,
+exiting...

When I comment out the second line, I get this output on the console:

freebsd# apachectl -t
Use of uninitialized value in lc at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.0/Class/DBI.pm line 196.
Syntax OK
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28bda050 during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28be05b4 during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28be080c during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28d1c21c during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28d19e60 during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28be076c during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28be04ec during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28d1c208 during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28bda7a8 during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28be0708 during global destruction.
Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0x28bda618 during global destruction.

BTW: ignore the DBI error since that occurred when starting apache prior
to my system upgrade last week.

So the syntax is now okay, but something else breaks and the server fails
to start.  It seems like there is something wrong with the handling of the
PerlModule directive.  For example, is "require" parsing different from
"use" parsing?

I don't see how anything I have done, or the application that worked before
the upgrade, could be at fault here.  Something in apache2 or mod_perl2 or
their APIs has changed, perhaps related to the newish Perl 5.14 version.

I don't know how to approach this other than by asking the mailing lists
for some guidance.  Thanks for your help.

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: w...@umich.edu