On 13 Jul 2011, at 20:40, Tim Watts wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Quick pointer would be most welcomed:
>
> I have mod_proxy_http in use to front-end a tomcat server.
>
> Sadly the tomcat programmers omitted to set cache control headers (eg
> Expires) and the tomcat servers are being overloaded, despite the content
> being totally invariant. I don't "do" JSP so messing about at that end is out
> for me.

If the contents are invariant then, um, does it really Expire?
Last-Modified, Cache-Control and Etag may be more useful.

> So I'd like to shove a cache in front - and an agressive one at that, that
> handled GET requests too.
>

> I normally use mod_cache_disk for this with good effect but the lack of
> Expires (etc) headers are falling foul.
>
> I have considered an output filter to force the headers in as mod_headers
> does not seem to play nice with mod_proxy.

Where's the problem?  mod_headers doesn't care whether it's in a proxy
(though it's possible mod_proxy is suppressing it - haven't looked of late).

> Is it at all likely that I could get mod_ext_filter (IIRC), mod_cache and
> mod_proxy to play nice?

mod_ext_filter won't do anything for your headers.

> Next option is to hack mod_proxy (there was a 1.3 patch that allowed
> manipulating output headers) - would that play nice with mod_cache?

1.3 mod_proxy made no attempt to support HTTP/1.1 - which makes it pretty-much
useless for cacheing.

> I do have Squid as a fallback - or I suppose a separate Apache instance - but
> it's getting a bit hairy and overweight. A light solution would be good - I
> have a 100+ servers I could usefully apply this too :)
>
> Any suggestions would be cool - I'm happy to graft, but as long as I start in
> the right direction :)

mod_headers seems the obvious hack to fix it.  If there's a specific problem
with it,
why not ask here - maybe you have a feature request?

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html