Hi all,

We use Apache as a front-end to a Subversion repository on Linux. We're using
SSL, with basic authentication backed by LDAP against a Windows Server 2008
domain controller.

Every so often, we get a 500 Internal Server Error when trying to write to the
SVN repository. The following message appears in ssl_error_log:

    [crit] [client X.X.X.X] configuration error:
        couldn't check access.  No groups file?: /svn/!svn/bln/401

I'm aware that this is a common error caused by missing modules and/or broken
authentication configurations. However, our authentication IS working -- but
only about 80% of the time. I've looked around for other log files that might
have more detailed information, but can't find anything.

Any suggestions on how I might troubleshoot this further? I really have no idea
where to start.

Relevant SSL/SVN configuration:

    LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
    LoadModule authz_svn_module modules/mod_authz_svn.so
    LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so

    <Location /svn>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /data/svnroot
        AuthBasicProvider ldap
        AuthType Basic
        AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
        AuthName "<censored>"
        AuthLDAPURL "<censored>" NONE
        AuthLDAPBindDN "<censored>"
        AuthLDAPBindPassword <censored>
        <Limit GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
            require valid-user
        </Limit>
        <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
            require ldap-attribute memberOf="<censored>"
        </LimitExcept>
    </Location>

System specifications:

    RHEL 5.7 x86_64, 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 SMP
    Apache 2.2.3 (RPM 2.2.3-53.el5)
    Windows domain controller = Windows Server 2008 SP2

Many thanks in advance!

DN.