On September 14, 2011 11:30 , Lee Fisher <fisher....@gmail.com> wrote:
I am looking to disable
SSL support for weak ciphers and SSL v2 protocol support
It seems like SSLCipherSuite directives are not recognized without mod_ssl?
Is it necessary to use mod_ssl to disable this?

Essentially I am not currently using SSL at all, I just want to prevent any security holes.

The SSL protocol and SSL ciphers are only used if you are using SSL. mod_ssl is what implements SSL for Apache HTTP Server. Thus, if you are not using mod_ssl, you are not using SSL and you do not have to worry about weak ciphers or SSL protocol version 2.

The directives I use to disable SSL v2 and weak ciphers are:

SSLProtocol ALL -SSLv2
SSLCipherSuite ALL:!NULL:!LOW:!EXP:!ADH:!MD5

Definitely do not enable mod_ssl just to use these directives. It is safer and more secure (if you do not need SSL) to not load mod_ssl at all.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org