At some point in the last couple of years I did something which was
apparently too clever by half to our 2.2.14 server so that this:

  http://aserver/adirectory/178_hlah.html

does a 301 redirect to

  http://aserver/adirectory/170_hlah.html

Now I can't find whatever configuration accomplishes this!
Tried to find it by modifying httpd.conf with

   RewriteLog logs/rewrite_log
   RewriteLogLevel 9

but the log file does not show the 178->170 redirect (it does show
one redirect test for "aserver" failing, which is as it should be).

Grep'd for 170 and 178 in all the files in the conf directory, but found nothing. No .htaccess file in "adirectory" or in ~apache, which is what the server runs as.
In "adirectory" there is no 178_blah.html file.
Putting in another number, like 165_blah.html gives a 404 not found error.

Put a file 178_blah.html into adirectory, and then restart the server. After that the physical file is used instead of the mysterious 301 redirect. No error or warnings result. So apparently the 301 redirect happens only after
the direct file access has failed.

Any ideas where else the 301 redirect might be?

Thanks,

David Mathog
mat...@caltech.edu