Yes, thank for the responses and clarification.   True the Basic Auth
isn't really a login, as there is no logout per se.

One would suppose from the responses that using .htpasswd and Basic Auth
is really a lousy approach to security, since an attacker can just wail
away indefinitely trying repeatedly, unless one configured something
like fail2ban to cut off repeated attempts.   I was just looking to
improve on that if possible.