On October 10, 2011 13:35 , Matt <lm7...@gmail.com> wrote:
One other thing though.  Suppose I want to exempt certain directories
from requiring a password but still leave all remaining restrictions.
I have this there:

AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /var/www/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
require valid-user

Is there a way to exempt say /downloads/ directory?

<Directory /path/to/downloads>
    Allow from all
    Satisfy any
</Directory>

This will make a username and password optional rather than required for the downloads directory and all files and subdirectories within it. Assuming that you have not specified "Satisfy any" at any higher level, all other directories at and below the scope of the "AuthType Basic" directive will require a username and password.

Since this is the same answer as in my previous response, I suspect I am not understanding your question correctly... can you elaborate?

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org