On November 10, 2011 15:38 , Nick Tkach <ntk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Second, we've seen that at least sometimes that seems to generate a
big spike in CPU usage "all of a sudden" once it goes live.
What seems to generate a big spike in CPU usage?  When what goes live?
When the Apache HTTPD process gets started with a rewrite like that I
meant.  I think that was unrelated though.

I agree that it is probably unrelated. Have you done measurements regarding CPU usage at startup time with mod_rewrite enabled and such a rule versus mod_rewrite disabled? That would (presumably) eliminate mod_rewrite as a cause of the problem you're seeing.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org