Hi:

I'm struggling with some Apache error messages.

I'm not 100% sure it's Apache which is faulty but it looks like it.

I'm using mod_proxy / mod_proxy_http to forward requests to Glassfish.

In apache's ssl error log I can see the following:

[Tue Nov 15 04:38:02 2011] [error] (103)Software caused connection abort:
proxy: pass request body failed to 127.0.0.1:8181 (localhost)
[Tue Nov 15 04:38:02 2011] [error] proxy: pass request body failed to
127.0.0.1:8181 (localhost) from x.x.x.x ()

I have removed the client ip from the error message above.

I'm using ip-based virtual hosts in apache and here's the config:

<VirtualHost myip:443>
SSLEngine on

# certificates

#   SSL Engine Options:
#   Set various options for the SSL engine.
#   o FakeBasicAuth:
#     Translate the client X.509 into a Basic Authorisation.  This means that
#     the standard Auth/DBMAuth methods can be used for access control.  The
#     user name is the `one line' version of the client's X.509 certificate.
#     Note that no password is obtained from the user. Every entry in the user
#     file needs this password: `xxj31ZMTZzkVA'.
#   o ExportCertData:
#     This exports two additional environment variables: SSL_CLIENT_CERT and
#     SSL_SERVER_CERT. These contain the PEM-encoded certificates of the
#     server (always existing) and the client (only existing when client
#     authentication is used). This can be used to import the certificates
#     into CGI scripts.
#   o StdEnvVars:
#     This exports the standard SSL/TLS related `SSL_*' environment variables.
#     Per default this exportation is switched off for performance reasons,
#     because the extraction step is an expensive operation and is usually
#     useless for serving static content. So one usually enables the
#     exportation for CGI and SSI requests only.
#   o StrictRequire:
#     This denies access when "SSLRequireSSL" or "SSLRequire" applied even
#     under a "Satisfy any" situation, i.e. when it applies access is denied
#     and no other module can change it.
#   o OptRenegotiate:
#     This enables optimized SSL connection renegotiation handling when SSL
#     directives are used in per-directory context.
#SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData +StrictRequire
<FilesMatch "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php)$">
        SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</FilesMatch>

<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
        SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Directory>

#   SSL Protocol Adjustments:
#   The safe and default but still SSL/TLS standard compliant shutdown
#   approach is that mod_ssl sends the close notify alert but doesn't wait for
#   the close notify alert from client. When you need a different shutdown
#   approach you can use one of the following variables:
#   o ssl-unclean-shutdown:
#     This forces an unclean shutdown when the connection is closed, i.e. no
#     SSL close notify alert is send or allowed to received.  This violates
#     the SSL/TLS standard but is needed for some brain-dead browsers. Use
#     this when you receive I/O errors because of the standard approach where
#     mod_ssl sends the close notify alert.
#   o ssl-accurate-shutdown:
#     This forces an accurate shutdown when the connection is closed, i.e. a
#     SSL close notify alert is send and mod_ssl waits for the close notify
#     alert of the client. This is 100% SSL/TLS standard compliant, but in
#     practice often causes hanging connections with brain-dead browsers. Use
#     this only for browsers where you know that their SSL implementation
#     works correctly.
#   Notice: Most problems of broken clients are also related to the HTTP
#   keep-alive facility, so you usually additionally want to disable
#   keep-alive for those clients, too. Use variable "nokeepalive" for this.
#   Similarly, one has to force some clients to use HTTP/1.0 to workaround
#   their broken HTTP/1.1 implementation. Use variables "downgrade-1.0" and
#   "force-response-1.0" for this.
BrowserMatch "MSIE [2-6]" \
        nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
                downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

# MSIE 7 and newer should be able to use keepalive
BrowserMatch "MSIE [17-9]" ssl-unclean-shutdown

# forward requests to Glassfish
ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPreserveHost On
SSLProxyEngine on

<Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass / https://localhost:8181/
ProxyPassReverse / https://localhost:8181/

<Location />
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Location>

</VirtualHost>

OS = Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS
Apache version = 2.2.14

I tried Google to search for the proxy error but couldn't find anything
particularly helpful.

Please help!