I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here by modifying these files.

To get the directory listing, from mod_autoindex documentation:

"Automatic index generation is enabled with using Options +Indexes. See the
Options <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options> directive
for more details."

If you have a look at Options directive:

Indexes If a URL which maps to a directory is requested, and there is no
DirectoryIndex<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_dir.html#directoryindex>(
*e.g.*, index.html) in that directory, then
mod_autoindex<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_autoindex.html>will
return a formatted listing of the directory.
So all you need to get a directory listing is:

1. Optins +Indexes (in the directory command)
2. You should NOT have any index file in that directory