On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:15:57 +0530
Rahul Mehta <rahul.me...@bankbazaar.com> wrote:

> *Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Compilation failed: this
> version of PCRE is not compiled with PCRE_UTF8 support*

That's a compile-time option to PCRE.  Not a matter of newer vs
older versions.

> Is there a way to point Apache 2.2.8 pre-compiled binaries to the newer
> version of PCRE present in the system?

What does ldd tell you?  If there's a libpcre listed as dynamically
linked then you may be able to just switch (provided the versions
are ABI-compatible, which is something you'd need to check with
the PCRE docs or a support forum).  If not then you'll have to
build it yourself.

2.2.8 is old in any case, so I guess building your own makes more
sense than delving into questions of linkage and compatibility.

--
Nick Kew