On 12/13/2011 10:50 AM, Paul Simon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> PHP.net [http://windows.php.net/download/] is directing folks to
> download apache for windows from Apache Lounge
> [http://apachelounge.com/]. It says the apache from apache.org is
> compiled with the legacy Visual Studio 6 compiler instead of the
> Visual Studio 2008 compiler needed for the current version of PHP and
> I imagine future ones also. I've always used the Win32 binaries from
> apache.org. It seems weird that php.net is directing folks elsewhere.

No, it's only weird that php.net doesn't compile the entire stack for you.
There are groups out there who are either shipping complete compiled LAMP
stacks, or preparing to do so.  But if you want to follow php.net's guide
and piecemeal it with mod_php, by all means go ahead and give that a try.

It's also weird that the PHP Windows dev folks keep hallucinating that
mod_php is the one right solution.  All Unix admins know that fcgid is
the more optimal (and PHP endorsed) solution; no thread safety concerns,
more efficient performance, process isolation for untrusted php code.

And of course, one can run 32 bit PHP with a 64 bit web server and visa
versa, one with glibc and the other with eglibc or two different flavors
of MSVCR.dll.  No need to "match" the php and httpd environments.

> Do folks here use the Apache Lounge version?

Some folks do.  There are also ApacheLounge Forums for discussing those
packages.

> Are there plans to offer apache VC9 version in the near future? Why or why
> not?

No, VC9 is now stale, and has been this entire decade.  VC10 is now at
a service release 1, suggesting it is very stable.  And is free -- well,
is available as an 'express' download with perhaps crippled optimizations.
But the point is, anyone can build their own with VC10 (or 9, or 8, or...)

The ASF folks tend not to change any tooling during a release cycle, so
when 2.2 shipped for Windows MSVCRT, that was it.  The current tooling is
VC10 now, so if the ASF ships binaries of 2.4 (the release that is about
to occur) that is what it is likely to be used.

Microsoft essentially told PHP devs that it had no intention of "fixing"
posix-non-conforming "issues" in msvcrt (introducing known non-conformant
changes as features), so I think most of us are done with trying to use
the "distributed" c runtime.