I think I have the latest version as I picked it up from the site.

Actually, after doing a little digging, I found that mod_proxy_html by
way of mod_xml2enc parses the html and, ultimately, puts it back
together again.  At the time of parsing, it replaces   with 0xc2
0xca or something like that.

In the mod_proxy_html.c, you have this code.

static void pcharacters(void* ctxt, const xmlChar *uchars, int length) {
  const char* chars = (const char*) uchars;
  saxctxt* ctx = (saxctxt*) ctxt ;
  int i ;
  int begin ;
  for ( begin=i=0; i<length; i++ ) {
    switch (chars[i]) {
      case '&' : FLUSH ; ap_fputs(ctx->f->next, ctx->bb, "&amp;") ; break ;
      case '<' : FLUSH ; ap_fputs(ctx->f->next, ctx->bb, "&lt;") ; break ;
      case '>' : FLUSH ; ap_fputs(ctx->f->next, ctx->bb, "&gt;") ; break ;
      case '"' : FLUSH ; ap_fputs(ctx->f->next, ctx->bb, "&quot;") ; break ;
      default : break ;
    }
  }
  FLUSH ;
}

I suppose I need to add a line for &nbsp;, but it has been a long time
since I coded in c and I don't know how to handle utf-8 characters.
If you could help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,