My server hosts all requests to example.com, i.e. example.com, www.example.com <http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=www.example.com&usg=AFQjCNFaEl-ukxNKgv1eOPdRag7GbVqELA>, customer1.example.com, customer2.example.com, etc. By all, I mean all that do not have a pre-defined DNS record to tell the client to go somewhere else. I have an SSL certificate that is only valid for www.example.com <http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=www.example.com&usg=AFQjCNFaEl-ukxNKgv1eOPdRag7GbVqELA>, not even example.com. I haven't been able to find a good answer to my question, since it involves rewrites in different cases. Here's what I want to do:

[code]
if HTTP_HOST == 'example.com'
// All requests for example.com, regardless of SSL, redirect to SSL www site redirect to https://www.example.com/theRestOfTheURL <http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://www.example.com/theRestOfTheURL&usg=AFQjCNGDISTggojWmiYcXiAQH5ai24SArg> else if HTTP_HOST == 'www.example.com' <http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=www.example.com%27&usg=AFQjCNGU-2mWwuFSfg9yHe1Q46Mnd6S8yQ> and SERVER_PORT != 443
     // For non-SSL requests to www, redirect to SSL www
redirect to https://www.example.com/theRestOfTheURL <http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://www.example.com/theRestOfTheURL&usg=AFQjCNGDISTggojWmiYcXiAQH5ai24SArg>
else if SERVER_PORT == 443
// For any other requests that are trying to use SSL, redirect to non-SSL of the same domain name redirect to http://HTTP_HOST/theRestOfTheURL <http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://HTTP_HOST/theRestOfTheURL&usg=AFQjCNEV32IOZQKDYoBo81gx8SoMLQF4bQ>

Carry out other RewriteRules I may have in place
[/code]

I would prefer to be able to accomplish this with .htaccess rules only. But if I need to accomplish this with a combination of .htaccess rules AND Apache configuration changes, I'm ok with that too. Thank you in advance!Let me know if you need more information.

--
Thanks,
Dan Schaefer