hello dain,
just to make sure: you did ofcourse stop the old httpd before doing this
upgrade? i know that a running version cannot be patched on the fly, you
need at least to restart it for it to discover new version and other
metadata, and propably reload the libs.

but i would suggest, since you did a standalone installation from the
apache.org, and not the up2date/yum rhel packages precompiled repos,
please uninstall that one first, and then traverse again with the new
version that rhel doesnt actually know about just yet.
This is because; they might patch you from the repos, and i dont think we
can expect the package managers to take this in mind. what will happen to
a 2.2.22 that is suddenly minor patched as being 2.2.3-->2.2.17 for
instance, maybe some modules survive but the grand picture looks spoiled.

thats my ½ cent.

br
congo