I've been following the various changes with Apache 2.4.x (and 2.3.x
during development regarding the removal of apr/apr-util and pcre from
the Apache source bundle and noted that:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/install.html

says nothing about PCRE as a requirement, but the default configure
options look for pcre and blow up if it can't find it.

I see in  Makefile.win that srclib\pcre will be processed for the
Windows build but there's no facility to handle that outside of the
Windows builds.

I take it there's no alternative to building PCRE as an external dependency?

I have to build and bundle Apache on enough platforms that don't have
pcre available by default that I was hoping there would be some way to
just extract the source into the old srclib location had have it handle
the build for me like I can with apr/apr-util.

Thanks,
Andy