On 12.04.2012, at 09:17, Igor Cicimov wrote:

>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Rainer Frey <rainer.f...@inxmail.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Where did you get the idea that you can mix protocols in the reverse proxy
>> > commands from?
>> >
>> > This doesn't [make sense]:
>> >   ProxyPass / https://internal.example.com/
>> >   ProxyPassReverse / http://internal.example.com/
>>
>> That is wrong.
> No it's not wrong

Your above statement is definitely not correct. You *can* and sometimes *must*
mix protocols between ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse. The only thing a working
ProxyPassReverse directive needs to match is the redirect URLs that a proxy
backend returns. Apart from the fact that it only applies to responses from
proxied backends, it has /nothing/ to do with the value in any ProxyPass
directive. You don't even need a ProxyPass directive, it also applies to
mod_rewrite [P] triggered proxy passing.
This is a very common misunderstanding, and should not be left in the mailing
list archive without explanation.

>> It does not do what the OP expected, but it is definitely possible to do
>> that, if the backend sends non-HTTPS redirects even though it was accessed
>> via HTTPS.
> I'm just pointing that it can't be done via mod_proxy as OP expects to, which
> was his question exactly.

That's right, but for completely different reasons. He can't change the
redirect to non-SSL via ProxyPassReverse, because (and only because) the
relevant ProxyPassReverse directive is within an SSL virtual host.

Rainer