On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:26 AM, P J <pauljfli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:22 AM, P J <pauljfli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM, P J <pauljfli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Alexandr Normuradov <norma...@gmail.com

>>> Hi Alexandr, thanks for taking a look at this with me.
>>>
>>> The traffic pattern for this website is at certain times of the day it
>>> receives huge spikes of traffic in very short periods of time, trying to
>>> tune Apache to accommodate it the best we can.
>>>
>>> cat /proc/$(pidof -s httpd)/limits
>>>
>>> Limit                     Soft Limit           Hard Limit
>>> Units
>>> Max cpu time              unlimited            unlimited
>>>  seconds
>>> Max file size             unlimited            unlimited
>>>  bytes
>>> Max data size             unlimited            unlimited
>>>  bytes
>>> Max stack size            10485760             unlimited
>>>  bytes
>>> Max core file size        0                    unlimited
>>>  bytes
>>> Max resident set          unlimited            unlimited
>>>  bytes
>>> Max processes             55296                55296
>>>  processes
>>> Max open files            1024                 1024
>>> files
>>> Max locked memory         32768                32768
>>>  bytes
>>> Max address space         unlimited            unlimited
>>>  bytes
>>> Max file locks            unlimited            unlimited
>>>  locks
>>> Max pending signals       55296                55296
>>>  signals
>>> Max msgqueue size         819200               819200
>>> bytes
>>> Max nice priority         0                    0
>>> Max realtime priority     0                    0
>>>
>>> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
>>> 1530    0       560543
>>>
>>> Looking at Max open files I see what is likely the problem :)
>>> Max open files            1024
>>>
>>> I swear I modified this to 4096! I've changed the limit to 4096 now,
>>> I'll double check it tomorrow. Hopefully this will be the obvious fix!
>>>
>>> I will check service httpd fullstatus  and netstat -pant tomorrow
>>> morning when this happens again, it happens the same time every day - it is
>>> not an attack, the customers application receives massive amounts of
>>> connections at certain times of the day.
>>>
>>> I've been working with Apache for 15 years and I've never seen "connect
>>> to listener on [::]:80" error message before, I hope it's related to
>>> reaching Max open files.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your help.
>>>
>>> --
>>> PJ
>>>

>> I was hoping this would be fixed now that Max Open files has been
>> updated, same issue this morning.
>>
>> cat /proc/$(pidof -s httpd)/limits
> [...]
Same issue this morning:

[Wed May 02 07:01:57 2012] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 32 children, there
are 48 idle, and 1004 total children

[Wed May 02 07:02:16 2012] [debug] mpm_common.c(663): (70007)The timeout
specified has expired: connect to listener on [::]:80
[Wed May 02 07:02:23 2012] [debug] mpm_common.c(663): (70007)The timeout
specified has expired: connect to listener on [::]:80
[Wed May 02 07:02:30 2012] [debug] mpm_common.c(663): (70007)The timeout
specified has expired: connect to listener on [::]:80

--snip--

And the site was down.

I've confirmed the Max open files setting has been fixed:

Max open files            16384                16384                files

Anyone else have any insight on what the "(70007)The timeout specified has
expired: connect to listener on [::]:80" error is and why it happens every
day after reaching 1000 children?

Not sure where else to look.

Thanks in advance.

--