We have a configuration as follows:

Apache2 httpd with mod_proxy (2.2.15) in the DMZ
Java server process with embedded Jetty in the secure zone
All calls to the Java server are POST made by an iPad application

The mod_proxy configuration looks like this:

<VirtualHost ……. >
ProxyRequests Off
   ProxyPreserveHost On
   <Proxy *>
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
   </Proxy>
   ProxyPass /ls http://jetty:8080/url
   ProxyPassReverse /ls http://jetty:8080/url

</VirtualHost>

Sporadically, quite disturbingly it is about every 4th or 5th HTTP POST, we get this:

502 error sent back to the iPad application and at that moment in the httpd error log we get this:

[Fri Jun 01 17:06:28 2012] [error] [client 71.197.43.86] (20014)Internal error: proxy: error reading status line from remote server ………. [Fri Jun 01 17:06:28 2012] [error] [client 71.197.43.86] proxy: Error reading from remote server returned by …..

(URLs obfusaced)

I tried everything under the sun and different combinations of it, with no luck.

SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1
#SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
SetEnv proxy-initial-not-pooled 1
#SetEnv proxy-sendcl 1

Now, one thing is that in the QA environment there is a firewall and xinetd in between Apache and Jetty. In dev environment that isn ot the case, and I haven't tried it in dev yet. But the problem persists in both places.

I don't believe this is unique to Jetty as I found plenty of discussion about Tomcat, weblogic, IIS, etc. having this problem.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.