On 10 Jun 2012, at 17:21, Michael Sersen wrote:

> Hello fellow Apache friends!
>
> This is my first time posting but I do lurk in the background, listening in
> on all of your valuable wisdom! :-)

Please fix your mailer to send text!

> I am having troubles with thousands of spam requests (possible hack attempts)
> to my server.

Evidence?  Are they requesting nonexistent dynamic-looking contents, or
something?
You can always try logging referers(sic) to see if someone has incorrect links
to you.

>  My question is; How can I block all requests, with the only exception being
> that a referrer may request any resource, just-as-long as they first request
> my login page?

Straight answer: you can't:
- if you try, you'll lock out anyone using privacy settings and not sending a
referer.
- if anyone's really trying to 'hack' you, they can trivially work around it.

>  Basically I would like to block all inbound requests, but allow unfettered
> requests from any IP which 1st accesses my login page.

Trying to map IPs to users is a fundamental mistake.  The only IP you can know
with any certainty is the nearest proxy to you (which may or may not identify
itself
as a proxy).  Of course not all users come through a proxy, but that's not up to
the server.

>  Furthermore, is this a good approach towards keeping spam bots away?  My
> logic comes from looking at my access logs, and noticing that the "perps" are
> unwittingly, not attempting to access my login page.

There's a recipe for thwarting "image theft" (your images appearing in other
peoples
pages).  It'll 'work' subject to the above provisos.  I think it's in the FAQ.

If you actually have a login page, then you can just use session management,
such as that provided by mod_session.

--
Nick Kew