SUMMARY

I wanted to thank Rainer Jung who sent (2) emails of suggestions.
Rainer provided the only responses to my question.

additional qualifiers
---------------------
In addition to the details I provided below, I will qualify again that
both of the systems used were new Solaris 11 installs.

I would also state in response to comments made, that the Sun/Oracle
studio compiler was not, and has never been installed on either of these
systems.

Resolution
----------
In Apache httpd 2.2, the APR and APR-UTIL were included in the httpd
source code sub-tree.  Those of you who are working with Apache 2.4 know
that APR and APR-UTIL has been pulled from the httpd directory sub-tree,
and are now pre-req's for Apache httpd 2.4 and greater compiles.

Apparently, Oracle installs a copy of APR and APR-UTIL binaries as part
of the OS install.  I am making this assumption as I did not install
either of those after the fact.

When I ran the Apache httpd ver 2.2.22 ./configure file with no
additional command line parameters, it not only found the APR and
APR-UTIL provided by Oracle, but it also picked up compiler settings.
And as you can guess, Oracle compiled their APR & APR-UTIL using the
Sun/Oracle studio compiler.  Try and figure that out from the details
below.  Again, thank you to Rainer Jung who's comments got me on the
right track.

I very rarely use the Sun Studio compiler, and didn't realize that the
-mt flags were flags from the Sun Studio compiler.  All I realized at
the time was that GCC 4.5 didn't like it, and I couldn't figure out how
to get rid of them.

FIX
===

Incredibly simple.

One configure option resolved everything.  My ./configure needed to have
this option::

--with-included-apr

I hope that this summary helps someone else.

Jerry