On July 12, 2012 11:03 , Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like the "friendly" approach, but I made the statement. "I want to have NO http traffic on my site," because I saw in a post from a Mozilla Persona site a reference to another link that there is a possibility of a man-in-the-middle attack using it.

It is trivial to do a man-in-the-middle attack against HTTP.

HTTPS makes it harder to do man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks, but MITM attacks are still possible against HTTPS. Do a web search for "https man in the middle" for examples. There are two main types of MITM attacks against HTTPS:

1. An HTTPS proxy. This is easy to detect unless the proxy is able to sign SSL certificates using a certification authority trusted by the client (this could easily be set up by a company for its own workstations), but many users will click through certificate warnings without reading them.

2. Protocol or implementation vulnerabilities. There have been a number of these over the years; an example of a recent one is the BEAST exploit ( https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/09/man-in-the-midd_4.html ).

If I were in your situation, I would prefer the solution you originally posted (redirecting all HTTP requests to HTTPS) over disabling HTTPS entirely because it's more user-friendly. If an attacker used a MITM attack against the HTTP traffic, the only thing going through your server is the redirect itself. An attacker could choose to do more things than your server allows -- for example, they could proxy all HTTP requests to the HTTPS virtual host on your server, thus making your entire site available through them via HTTP -- but note that disabling HTTP on your server will do nothing to prevent this while making your site harder to access for users who don't know to type "https://"; in their browser location bars as a part of all URLs for your site.

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org