On 8/18/2012 11:30 AM, sebb wrote:
> On 18 August 2012 15:55, Drew Tomlinson <d...@mykitchentable.net> wrote:
>> I've been working at this for days and couldn't figure out why a mod_rewrite
>> rule wasn't working.  My situation was that I wanted to redirect this:
>>
>> http://domain.com/unique_directory/whatever

>> https://domain.com/unique_directory/whatever
>>
>> While not redirecting http://domain.com/other_directories/whatever
>>
>> After beating my head for a few days and realizing first attempts were
>> creating a rewrite loop, I finally came up with this syntax:
>>
>> RewriteEngine On
>> RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
>> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} \/unique_directory\/ [NC]
>> RewriteRule (.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}
>>
>> Yet on the PC I had been using for testing, the redirects were still failing
>> using both Firefox 14 and Internet Explorer 9.  I had many tabs open in
>> Firefox so I never closed and reopened it but I did close and reopen IE9.
>> Attempts to load pages still timed out just like when I had the rewrite loop
>> in place.
>>
>> Also, I had enabled the RewriteLog for debugging with RewriteLogLevel 9.  I
>> thought it odd that I would not see requests from my IP address hitting the
>> rewrite log.
>>
>> Finally in desperation, I went to another PC and tested with the same
>> browsers.  Redirection worked just as I expected it to and I could see those
>> in the rewrite log.
>>

> An alternative would be to use a client that does not cache, for
> example curl or wget.
>
>> So now I'm trying to understand how browsers cache information and what it
>> takes to get them to forget that information.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Drew

Where Firefox is concerned, there's a plug-in that enables one to toggle
the browser cache with a convenient toolbar icon:

http://pau.santesmasses.net/cachetoggle/

This little tool is indispensable to any serious developer.

(I am in no way affiliated with this plug-in; I'm just a satisfied user.)

-Ben