On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM, J.Lance Wilkinson <jl...@psu.edu> wrote:
> Eric Covener wrote:
>> I wonder if on the 2nd system the files are not really served by the
>> "default handler" and somehow end up pumped through e.g. PHP?
>

>         We've noted that NO MATTER WHERE this FilesMatch stanza appears
>         in the file, it never seems to be imposing the ForceType on .ram
>         files that clearly SHOULD be matching.
> …
>        On both systems, the files in question are only accessible thru
>        a specific handler, the Adobe CQ Dispatcher.

FilesMatch and ForceType provide ways of customizing the behaviour
when you serve files through the default handler. You aren't serving
files through the default handler. Is there any difference in the
version of "Adobe CQ Dispatcher" on the two servers?

It's been a while, and this may be 1.3 knowledge only, but IIRC the
content type is a member of the request_rec. The default handler, if
used, uses mod_mime to determine the correct content type for the
response. If this is empty, or the default handler is not used, when
httpd comes to write the headers to the net, it will serve it with
whatever the default content type is.

Cheers

Tom