Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to go about Transferring xhr messages between Apache and a Persistent Program?

We currently use a cgi script (C program) that transfers xhr messages back and forth to a persistent (C) program using shared memory.

Although the CGI program [script] is very simple, the binary is ~500K which, presumably must be loaded on every cgi call. I suspect there are more elegant and efficient methods.

I have never looked under Apache's hood, so I would be grateful for any suggestions, book titles, etc.

I am working with a TS-7553 Arm based controller running Apache2 under Debian Lenny.

Thanks