> Is there any chance that the SetEnvIfNoCase directive is not being
> satisfied due to the mod_rewrite rules that I'm using?

There's always a way for things to go wrong with mod_rewrite.

SetEnvIf would run both before and after your rewrite on both the
rewritten and un-rewritten URL, and environment variables would not
really live from the first pass to the second which is I think what
you're counting on.  I suggest adding a rule to set no-gzip based on
the query string you'll redirect to.

Before you chase that, you can just log it the internal var with
%{no-gzip}e and %{REDIRECT_no-gzip}e