I have successfully generated SSL client certs (generated with openssl
1.0.1c) used by Safari, Firefox, and Chrome on Linux and Windows plus
IE 9 on Windows, but I cannot get successful access with either Safari
or Firefox on Mac OS X.

When I try on Mac/Safari I get the error:

  The server did not accept the certificate. (NSURLErrorDomain:-1205)

When I try on Mac/Firefox I get the error:

  SSL peer has rejected your certificate as expired.

  (Error code: ssl_error_expired_cert_alert)

When I view the cert on the Mac it clearly shows an expiration date
approximately one year from now.

Note that I have also added an identity preference in the Mac Key
Chain for the cert for the desired site.

The Apache (2.2.14, Ubuntu) site has this configuration, in server
context, that gives the option to present a certificate:

 SSLVerifyClient optional

Any help from anyone experiencing the same type of problem is appreciated.

Best regards,

-Tom