Hi folks

I'm using apache (2.4.3) as reverse proxy with mod_proxy_html (as delivered with 2.4.3) and encountered an issue using HTML rewriting in combination with content compression, as with the "Accept-Encoding" and "Content-Encoding" HTTP headers.

This issue has been encountered by numerous people and the solution presented always comes down to setting the output filters "manually" instead of using the mod_proxy_html directive to do it (e.g. see http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-908890-start-0.html). So it boils down to setting

        SetOutputFilter INFLATE;proxy-html;DEFLATE
instead of
        ProxyHTMLEnable On

In my test setup this actually solved the problem but it has a side effect which I am worried about.

In file modules/filters/mod_proxy_html.c function proxy_html_insert() it's clearly visible the xml2enc function is only called if cfg->enabled is set - which in turn is set via the ProxyHTMLEnable directive as declared with

AP_INIT_FLAG("ProxyHTMLEnable", ap_set_flag_slot,
                 (void*)APR_OFFSETOF(proxy_html_conf, enabled),
                 RSRC_CONF|ACCESS_CONF,
                 "Enable proxy-html and xml2enc filters")

I took a look at mod_xml2enc to see if there was a directive which I could use to establish the filtering in a way that matches the ProxyHTMLEnable directive but I could fine none.

Is there a way to work around this ? I do want the call to mod_xml2enc to happen but I also want the reverse proxy to support content compression.

Any suggestions on how to go forward/where to dig on this issue ?

Regards,
  Thomas