I hate to re-post during the holiday season but in this case I am totally
out of any ideas.

The problem is that Apache is running correctly so far as I can see and I
want to add mod_fcgid, so I downloaded and compiled it (using apxs to
create a loadable module) and everything works fine.  But when the
LoadModule command is executed the module doesn't load and issues the
following message:

httpd: Syntax error on line 99 of /usr/apache-2.4.3/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot
load modules/mod_fcgid.so into server:
/usr/apache-2.4.3/modules/mod_fcgid.so: undefined symbol:
ap_unixd_setup_child

Line 99 of httpd.conf is the request to load mod_fcgid

This is (obviously?) a programming error but my programming skills are
rather rudimentary and I have no idea how to approach this.

Can anyone help?

Details:

compiled using gcc on a Red Hat RHEL6.3 system.  Apache-2.4.3.

Regards,

John