On 18 January 2013 16:31, Zachary Stern <z...@enternewmedia.com> wrote:
> I wanted to get some opinions - do you folks think running httpd in a
> chroot jail is necessary on a server that only does httpd-serving and
> nothing else?

A chroot jail prevents a hacker from accessing anything you don't put in
the jail.  If you make everything read-only inside the jail, a hacker
would be hard-pressed to mess things up, and would only be able to copy
what is in the jail.  Definitely don't put writable /dev/sd* device files
in the jail, or expect your hard drive to get corrupted.

Hopefully you block outgoing connections and/or don't leave a copy of
netcat or telnet in there, so they can't use your machine as a jumping-off
point to hack someone else, or spew spam to the world.  I think users can
even use bash to connect to tcp ports on the net, so there's another thing
to block.

Cheers!