Apache 2.12.x in sles11 sp2. I am trying to give clients access to the mail
server on port 443 by using a rewrite rule. The rule:

Rewriteengine on
Rewritecond %{HTTPS_HOST} ^mail\.
Rewritecond %{HTTPS} on
Rewriterule ^/(.*) https://192.168.124.3/$1 [P]

[Error] The error log on the apache server:
(110)connection timed out: proxy: HTTPS: attempt to connect to
192.168.124.3:443 (*) failed

This error appears 4 times. Our firewall gives a handshake timeout from the
apache server (192.168.123.3) to the mail server (192.168.124.3). There is a
any (source) any (destination) any (service) rule on the firewall so this
should pass the traffic. To further verify the rule/firewall is working, a
proxypass statement works fine which passes traffic from 192.168.123.3 to
192.168.124.3.

Again, we want clients to access our web mail server using
https://mail.domain.tld. That address points to our apache server which should
pass said traffic to the mail setver. Maybe the rule is not correct? Maybe this
needs to be a proxypass statement (not sure how to write a proxypass for sub
domain)? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone