From: Bo Berglund [mailto:bo.bergl...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:06 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Cannot get Apache 2 basic authentication working with
CRYPT on Win7

I have a local Apache 2.2 server on my development PC. It is running
on Windows7X64.
Some of our folders are protected and we use .htpasswd files to
authenticate the users with CRYPT-ed passwords.
THe whole website is version controlled in CVS and I work on a checked
out copy of the website.

Now I need to develop some PHP scripts and these need to know which
user is logged on so for debugging I must get the authentication
going.
But so far I have been out of luck using the file with CRYPT:ed
passwords.

I discovered:
If I use the htpasswd command to create a password on the Win7 box it
seems to totally disregard the command line switch to make a CRYPT
password, instead it always forces use of MD5.

On the real server (at Network Solutions) the normal .htpasswd file
works just fine.

How can I make Apache2.2 on Win7X64 use the existing passwords so I
can continue developing the PHP scripts?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden