From: Brandon Gould [mailto:bgo...@crewcorpinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:05 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Auth aliases problem

You can also try authenticating to PAM, and then in

/etc/pam.d/apache2 (or httpd, I'll have to check)

You specify

Auth                      sufficient             pam_ldap.so
Account               sufficient             pam_ldap.so

Pam_ldap is part of  the nss_ldap package.

This tells PAM to authenticate with LDAP.

On your VirtualHost directive, you'll also need to add:

<Directory /var/www/myrestrictedarea>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted area for My Server"
AuthPAM_Enabled On
Require group mygroup
</Directory>

This should allow you to authenticate to LDAP.