This is interesting. I'm seeing similar events at one of my reverse proxy.
After fixing a DNS infrastructure problem I started seeing lots of 304s
with processing times well above 5 seconds. For header-only requests that's
a lot of time. If there is any news here please let us know. At the very
least it would help me.