On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just occurred to me that just NS flag may be enough too.

It didn't work. According to the manual, NS flag will only prevent the
rules from being applied on sub requests.

>  On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > My recollection is that END is designed to prevent looping from
> > rewrites own re-injection method during per-directory rewrites, which
> > differs from how mod_dir and mod_negotiation internally lookup and
> > then replace/redirect the active request.
> >
> > The method used by END does not propagate to those subrequests -- very
> > little does.  But maybe it would be possible for mod_rewrite to reach
> > back, but I think it may  require a new flag as some subrequests are
> > not replacing the current request.

You are right. I tried disabling DirectoryIndex, and it worked correctly.
It is not passed to FallbackResource too.

> > I have a suspicion that maybe the 2.4 difference is related to not
> > having a default type anymore. It is quite a roundabout influence, but
> > you could maybe see if ForceType or SetHandler makes some kind of
> > difference if it's active on that context?

SetHandler application/x-httpd-php worked. The file is being served
correctly, even though a sub request is still being issued for the
directory index file.  Should I report this as a bug in mod_dir/mod_rewrite?

Thanks,
Joyce Babu