I have a site with the following .htaccess:

Options +ExecCGI +Includes
AddType text/html .shtml
AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .cgi/
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .pl
AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .pl/
AddType text/css .css

I also have Addtype and AddOutputFilter lines in the httpd.conf (in the
ifmodule mime_module, as well as the following block:

<Directory "/usr/local/www">
 Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks +Includes -SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
 AllowOverride All
 Require all granted
</Directory>

and on the index.shtml page I have

<!--#include file="menu.inc"-->

This all worked in apache 2.2 (with AddHandler server-parsed .shtml), but under
24 the menu.inc file is not
definitely something I've missed in the Apache configuration for 2.4.

Also, none of the .pl files are being executed, instead just displaying their
source.

# apachectl -M
Loaded Modules:
core_module (static)
so_module (static)
http_module (static)
mpm_prefork_module (static)
authn_file_module (shared)
authn_core_module (shared)
authz_host_module (shared)
authz_groupfile_module (shared)
authz_user_module (shared)
authz_core_module (shared)
access_compat_module (shared)
auth_basic_module (shared)
reqtimeout_module (shared)
include_module (shared)
filter_module (shared)
mime_module (shared)
log_config_module (shared)
env_module (shared)
mime_magic_module (shared)
headers_module (shared)
setenvif_module (shared)
version_module (shared)
unixd_module (shared)
dav_module (shared)
status_module (shared)
autoindex_module (shared)
info_module (shared)
cgi_module (shared)
dav_fs_module (shared)
vhost_alias_module (shared)
dir_module (shared)
userdir_module (shared)
alias_module (shared)
rewrite_module (shared)
php5_module (shared)
# apachectl -V
Server version: Apache/2.4.6 (FreeBSD)
Server built:   Aug  3 2013 19:16:24
Server's Module Magic Number: 20120211:23
Server loaded:  APR 1.4.8, APR-UTIL 1.5.2
Compiled using: APR 1.4.8, APR-UTIL 1.5.2
Architecture:   64-bit
Server MPM:     prefork
threaded:     no
 forked:     yes (variable process count)
Server compiled with....
-D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
-D APR_HAS_MMAP
-D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
-D APR_USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZE
-D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
-D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
-D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
-D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
-D DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=256
-D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local"
-D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/bin/suexec"
-D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd.pid"
-D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
-D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
-D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="etc/apache24/mime.types"
-D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="etc/apache24/httpd.conf"
# apachectl -t
Syntax OK

--
'Where's the gritsucker? And the rock?' 'Ah,' said Vimes, 'you are
referring to those representative members of our fellow sapient races