On Aug 20, 2013 5:05 PM, "Rose, John B" <jbr...@utk.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for replying.
>
> Yes, it is prefork MPM.
>
> Reading this in the Apache documentation …
>
> "Do not set the value of this directive any higher than what you might
want to set MaxClients to."

> It also says …
>
> "Special care must be taken when using this directive. If ServerLimit is
set to a value much higher than necessary, extra, unused shared memory will
be allocated"

> What is classified as "much higher?"
>
> Is there a negative (or positive) impact of any kind of, for example,
setting ServerLimit to 2000 and MaxClients to 512?

Unclear what much higher means, especially on a modern machine.  I'd be
extremely surprised if 2000 has any noticeable impact.  But you could
measure actual shm use with diff values.

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#serverlimit
>
> Thanks
>

> From: Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:50 PM
> To: "users@httpd.apache.org" <users@httpd.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [users@httpd] What is the impact of setting ServerLimit
higher than MaxClients?

> On Aug 20, 2013 4:26 PM, "Rose, John B" <jbr...@utk.edu> wrote:
> >
> > What is the impact of setting the ServerLimit to a value significantly
more than your MaxClients value? Say with a MaxClients set to 512 and
ServerLimit of 2000?

> Assuming prefork MPM:
>
> You can increase maxclients across graceful restart, up to serverlimit
>
> Threaded MPMs: comparing maxclients vs server limit doesn't work without
also accounting for threadsperchild