From: Jim Barchuk [mailto:j...@jbarchuk.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:14 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Is it alive?

HiHi!

> How do you tell if a server is running apache?
> * I can see processes running.
> * I can't surf to it - website is online but isn't responding to connection
> attempts.

apachectl status will tell you if it's running. apachectl fullstatus will give
more details and info about current connections.

The logs will tell you about attempted/successful/failed connections (for
requests that reach the server.)

If there's no log info then that means no connections were attempted and as was
suggested a firewall (router or software) may have blocked it.

It's even possible to configure the server such that it's running but told to
not respond to any requests.

ping www.domain should produce a response, again though as long as nothing
blocks it and the server is not configured to ignore them.

tcpdump can show if traffic is at least attempting to knock on the server's
door.

Did it -used- to work, but now it fails, or is this a new install/config?

Have a :) day!

jb

--
Jim Barchuk