Hello Leo:

     Below is what I have.  I used htdigest to create a file name
"somefile" and I specified the realm name realm.  Note, I'm using a RHEL
clone from Amazon named "Amazon Linux AMI release 2013.03".  Note, this
work in version Apache 2.2 but not in 2.4.6 for some reason.  Thanks for
your help.

Authtype Digest
AuthName "realm"
AuthDigestAlgorithm MD5