Try setting the proxy-initial-not-pooled flag with mod_proxy_http, see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy_http.html

Apache 2.4 has an issue with the HTTP keep-alive time out which happens
quite frequently with ActiveSync. There is an ongoing discussion
("mod_proxy, oooled backend connections and the keep-alive race condition")
regarding this problem on the dev list.

Do you happen to use NTLM between the reverse proxy and exchange server ?
If you do I would be very much interested in the impact of the above
mentioned mod_proxy_http flag with the authentication procedure.