Apache 2.4.6
Subversion 1.8.3

When implementing access rules, what is the significance of the following:

[/]
admin = rw

[repo1/]
* = r

Does admin have read/write access to repo1 and any subdirectories in repo1?

I ran into an issue checking out repo1 and then trying to make a subdirectory
in repo1 and I got the error message:

svn: 175013 Access to repo1/txr.../subdirectory  forbidden

When I explicitly added admin = rw to the [repo1/] rule, I didn't get the error
again.  I was looking at the svn book and I didn't see where this is spelled
out.  Can someone point me to the docs where it explains this?

thanks,

Leo