I believe you just need to follow the instruction given in the log,
though I have not seen you configuration/httpd.conf.  You probably just
need to: "Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this
message".   Do you have a value for this Directive set?  If not use your
fqdn, perhaps others have a good reason not to do so but it woks for me.

--Chris

>>> Make Myday <make.myday2...@yahoo.com> 11/6/2013 8:43 PM >>>
After reading this message and the action taken, I remembered I had
installed Freemind(Though, I only used it once) a long time ago when I
still had the version before Ubuntu 13.04. I quickly booted up my
laptop, and inspected Synaptic Package Manager to confirm that my
computer indeed had "tntnet" installed - which it did.

I then proceeded to do $ sudo apt-get remove --purge tntnet
tntnet-runtime libtntnet11

Then I restarted Apache2 with the following command:

$ sudo service apache2 restart

After that I got the following message which is just one, compared to
the long list I use to get:

* Restarting web server apache2
       AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
globally to suppress this message

Finally, I opened up FireFox, and tried out some of the applications
that were in my var/www directory using localhost/my-web-application,
and voila! It all worked. Even PHP is now parsed.

Thank you Vincent Lefèvre for your discovery! This has resurrected my
crippled development process. I was already considering Nginx for a
replacement for Apache, though I dont know how successful that would
have been.

As for Paul, I never had this problem under Ubuntu 13.04. I had
Freemind on it before I upgraded to 13.10. I don't think its the upgrade
that matters, I think the confilict is between tntnet and Apache 2.4.6.
I discovered from Synaptic Package Manager that "tntnet" is also a web
server geared towards templating HTML with c++.

Does anyone have an answer for this:

AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully
qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive
globally to suppress this message

  OR

Should I disregard it since Apache2 is already working?

Thank you again Vincent Lefèvre for your discovery! There was no
article on any forum on the web has this solution.

Regards,
Osarobo Omokaro

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:42 PM, Stormy <storm...@stormy.ca>
wrote:

At 10:46 AM 11/6/2013 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>On 2013-11-04 07:13:56 -0800, Make Myday wrote:
> > (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to
> address [::]:80
> > (98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to
> address 0.0.0.0:80
> > no listening sockets available, shutting down
> > AH00015: Unable to open logs
> > Action 'start' failed.
> > The Apache error log may have more information.
>
>Same problem, until I noticed that a tntnet web server was installed
>during the upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10!!!

Perhaps going a little off-topic (although tntnet apparently does
disable
apache2), could you please be more specific?

Upgrading *from* what version? Server or desktop? As far as I can tell,

tntnet is either a very specific addition during install/upgrade, or
can be
added with the app "Freemind" in a desktop environment. I can find no
mention of it being included in any server package (after a quick look
at
13.10, but we only use the LTS in production.)

># apt-get remove --purge tntnet tntnet-runtime libtntnet11
>solved the problem, so that I can now start apache2.

Best - Paul