All -

I asked this question a couple weeks ago and my topic was hijacked and
never answered, so I figured I'd wait a little while and then ask again.

Here's my situation:  I've got multiple Apache web servers running on
different platforms (IBM POWER7, Red Hat, CentOS, Windows) and I want to
setup a way for my users so that when they try to access one of the sites
that is down for maintenance, they get a message like this:
Server Off-Line for Maintenance

Our servers will be back on line on Monday, January 1, 2011 at 8:00 AM.

Thank you for your patience.

I was under the understanding that to do something like this I'd want to
setup a 'front-end reverse proxy' server in front of all of these other
servers to do this task.

Is it a 'reverse proxy' I want to use here?  Is it something else I should
be setting up?

And if anyone can then point me in the right direction for learning how to
do this correctly (YouTube videos, books, PDFs, etc.), it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,
Charles

cbuege (at) moreycorp (dot) com - if you would like to e-mail me back
directly, feel free!!

This e-mail, including attachments, may contain information that is
confidential and/or proprietary, and may only be used by the person to
whom this email is addressed. If the recipient of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient or an authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If this e-mail has been delivered to you in error, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this e-mail
immediately.